Happy Owl-o-ween! Haha.

We thought we had our Halloween costume planned out months ago, but since Florida thinks it’s still summer we had to be a little creative & not do something that was a full body outfit. The hood & cape are both detachable by snaps so the onesie can be easily worn without them if it’s hot– not exactly the same effect, but I like having the different options.

The greatest part about this DIY was that I spent $0 on it because I had all the fabric. Doesn’t get better than that!

In theory, it’s a simple DIY.. it just takes time & patience. Using a hot glue gun to adhere the feathers probably would’ve been easier & faster but I didn’t know if the glue was going to be uncomfortable through the onesie so I just decided to sew them on.

Here’s what I used:

  • Black, brown, gray & white felt. I actually had dark gray fleece I used for the cape & feathers, too.
  • Gray onesie
  • Gray beanie
  • Brown pleather
  • Elastic
  • Snaps, buttons or velcro

What I did:

Cut out the felt feathers. (I didn’t end up using the tan, which you see cut in the top left corner)

IMG_5890

Start at the bottom & work your way up, sewing (or gluing) a line of feathers overlapping each other.

It took me a few rows to realize it was very necessary to pin the feathers in place. Ugh, I HATE pinning!

IMG_5896

Continue this all the way up the onesie.

IMG_5897

You’ll see it stretched out my onesie a bit, which was fine because the onesie I had was a small on Gio. But keep that in mind!

IMG_5907

IMG_5904

I wanted the feathers to go all the way up to the top so I cut them to fit around the neck.

IMG_5909IMG_5914

I added feathers to one sleeve & then removed them, they looked too bulky to me. So I started on the wing cape by cutting out gray fleece, folding over the top & sewing it so there wasn’t a raw edge. You’ll see in the picture below this next one that I actually ended up trimming the bottom & sides a bit to make it more of a rounded V shape than a U shape.

IMG_5942 copy

Do exactly what you did with the onesie– start at the bottom & work your way up. I left the middle section undone since the feathers would be covered by his body anyway. It was less work & I figured it would be lighter. I realized about 1/2 into it that I hadn’t used any of the light grey feathers so I left that color off this side so it didn’t look uneven.

IMG_5943

For the back, do the same thing as the front. Start at the bottom & work your way up. Make sure before you pin & sew, push the feathers up on the other side so they don’t get sewn down/sewn over! Does that make sense?

IMG_5995

The next part of the cape is sewing on wrist bands so they stay on. I used fleece since it has a bit of stretch & figured it would be more comfortable but you could also use elastic. Sew a zigzag stitch to make sure they stay put. Here’s a pic of them sewn on the top, then I folded them down & sewed it right over the feathers. I ended up adding one more row of feathers at the top (on both sides), I wasn’t a fan of that empty grey stripe.

IMG_5945

I wanted to use snaps to keep the cape on the onesie, but you could use buttons or velcro as well. I put the snaps on the top of the onesie first then lined the onesie up with the cape, marked where they needed to be & put them in the corresponding spots on the cape.

IMG_5948

Next are the shoe covers. I totally winged this part but it somehow worked. Trace around your child’s shoe & leave a bit of room for seam allowance.

IMG_5925

Sew the back & front together using a zig zag stitch.

IMG_5927

The front & back fit perfectly, but the top was weird so I used these nifty sewing clips to get it to the exact shape. Then I used those as a guide to sew the top.

IMG_5924

This is what they looked like over the shoe.

IMG_5931

I wanted to add talons so I shaped the pleather to the top of the shoe & cut out the shape.

IMG_5932

IMG_5936

Next, it’s time to sew the two pieces of pleather together & put elastic on the bottom so they stay on the shoes. I drew a line on the elastic where the outside of the shoe was & marked the pleather so I knew where to sew it. I zigzag stitched them together & added another elastic strip closer to the toe of the shoe to keep them on even more securely.

IMG_5939

IMG_6034

I made a beanie with eyes & a beak that he REF– USED to keep on. I may or may not have bribed him with fruit snacks to keep in on for one picture, but he won that battle, haha. I decided I’d add a detachable hood to the cape where I could put the eyes & beak instead– I figured he wouldn’t mind that as much & I was right. He didn’t exactly love it, but he did keep it on.

I used the hood of a jacket as a guide, making dots with a Sharpie near the edge for seam allowance.

IMG_5996

Cut & sew the pieces together, then flip & sew the raw edge. I cut out white, black & grey circles for the eyes, then 3 triangles for little ears & a beak.

 IMG_5999

I then added 5 snaps along the bottom so it could be attached to the cape

IMG_6000

& here’s my little owl!

IMG_6012

  IMG_6019

I feel like I could add some feathers to the hood but we’ll see if I get around to it before tomorrow… Haha.

IMG_6007

IMG_5960

I’ll post more pictures after Halloween, hope you enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by!!

xokristen