Hi, guys! I thought I would share with you today my recipe for my favorite smoothie. For me, the key to a healthy day starts with breakfast!
What I use:
- Silk Coconut milk (or almond milk) in Original flavor. So Delicious is another good brand.
- Fage Greek Yogurt in Vanilla is my absolute favorite. My new grocery store doesn’t carry it :( so I have been using Chobani Yogurt in Strawberry.
- Frozen Kale (Costco) Fresh is great, but I like the big bag so I don’t have to go to the store all the time for it. It also acts as “ice” in my smoothie.
- Sambazon Acai Smoothie Pack OR juice. You more bang for your buck with the juice. (Costco)
- Organic frozen fruit: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. I LOVE pomegranate but there was a huge recall for Hepatitis A from pomegranate sent from Turkey :( Be careful!!
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Flaxseed. I’ve also used Chia seeds…
- Liquid Chlorophyll
**Note: Blending a smoothie is kind of a science. You might have to blend more/less often than I’ve written, or add more milk/juice/yogurt depending on your blender. Tom & I were recently blessed with a Vitamix blender as a wedding present. I can pretty much get away with throwing everything in at once, putting it on “frozen” mode & it’ll do its thing.
Before we got this fancy machine I had to either keep the blender on & add the frozen fruit in slowly or just make sure I blended often so it doesn’t get “stuck”. If you aren’t using frozen fruit you won’t have an issue, but I like how the frozen fruit/kale acts as ice and gives it a great consistency.
How I make it:
- I start with about 2 cups of Coconut milk and a few good spoonfuls of yogurt. (I kind of eyeball this.. you need it to be pretty liquidy but can always add more milk if necessary)
- Add a good handful of Kale. (If you’ve never had Kale, it is verrry bitter. You can offset this with more yogurt or acai juice, both of which are sweet)
- Blend these ingredients together.
- Add a spoonful of chlorophyll & a large spoonful of flaxseed.. a small one if you’ve never had it before.
- Add acai juice or smoothie packet.
- Blend together.
- Add a couple handfuls of frozen fruit. You might need to add more coconut milk. Sometimes if I add way too much fruit & I need lots of milk, I will add regular organic milk so it’s not too “coconutty.”
- Make sure it’s all blended! It should be a thick but smooth consistency & should pour out of the blender very easily.
- Pour in a large cup. I like Tervis Tumblers with a lid & a straw (:
- Enjoy your delicious, healthy treat filled with antioxidants & goodness!!
I have made this smoothie so many times & sometimes I opt for different fruits like bananas, peaches or pineapple but this combination is my favorite. Especially with the Kale. I encourage you to be creative! Happy blending!!